We use cookies to understand how you use our site and to improve your experience. This includes personalizing content and advertising. To learn more, click here. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies. Cookie Policy.

Features Partner Sites Information LinkXpress
Sign In
Advertise with Us
Abbott Diagnostics

Download Mobile App




Events

ATTENTION: Due to the COVID-19 PANDEMIC, many events are being rescheduled for a later date, converted into virtual venues, or altogether cancelled. Please check with the event organizer or website prior to planning for any forthcoming event.
29 Aug 2020 - 02 Sep 2020
Virtual Venue

Skanska to Overhaul Gulf Coast Medical Center

By HospiMedica International staff writers
Posted on 05 Jul 2016
Print article
Image: Individual patient rooms at GCMC (Photo courtesy of KHSS / Skanska).
Image: Individual patient rooms at GCMC (Photo courtesy of KHSS / Skanska).
Skanska (Stockholm, Sweden) has been awarded a USD 178 million contract for the expansion and overhauling of the Lee Memorial Health System Gulf Coast Medical Center (GCMC) in Fort Myers (FL, USA).

The project consists of the consolidation of two hospitals, Southwest Florida Regional Medical Center (Fort Myers, FL, USA) and GCMC to one campus, and includes a new, 34,000m² building, and overhauling of 4,500m² of existing area, adding additional floors along with numerous horizontal expansions. The new 229 bed hospital will include an emergency department (ED), laboratory, radiology department, a combined med-surg department, a surgery department with 22 operating rooms, a new central energy plant, a kitchen space, a new dining facility and atrium, a pharmacy, and a 1,300 space parking structure.

The existing GCMC is a 218-bed acute-care hospital manned with 460-member medical staff and more than 1,000 employees and caters to the residents in Fort Myers and surrounding Bay County (FL, USA). The hospital also features a 42-bed critical care unit, which includes a 20-bed adult-level Intensive Care Unit (ICU), the region's only four-bed Pediatric ICU, and an 18-bed Level III neonatal ICU. GCMC also offers a cancer program accredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) commission on cancer.

Skanska will claim a 89% share of the total contract value of USD 200 million, through a joint venture company that will be formed with Gates Construction (Bonita Springs, FL, USA), which will hold the remaining 11%. Skanska will begin construction work in July 2016, and the project is scheduled to be completed in 2021.

Related Links:
Skanska
Lee Memorial Health System

Print article

Channels

Business

view channel
Illustration

Siemens to Acquire Varian Medical to Create Comprehensive Cancer Portfolio

Siemens Healthineers (Erlangen, Germany) has entered into an agreement to acquire Varian Medical Systems, Inc. (Palo Alto, CA, USA) that will lead to the creation of a global leader in healthcare with... Read more
Copyright © 2000-2020 Globetech Media. All rights reserved.